21 February 2009

3 Cups of Tea and 1 girl

If you knew that being involved in something you loved would eternally change the future for not just one person, but the world, would you more passionately pursue that activity, hobby, or interest?

Greg Mortenson, a mountaineer turned world changer (by accident), did just that. The book 3 Cups of Tea documents his journey. I'd rather you read the book then me drone on about it, but it's one of the most inspiring reads ever.
Hint: It does involve Pakistan and Afghanistan so if you know nothing about that part of the world or how the war has impacted them, this will be super helpful. Or you might just be really interested in world events. This will fascinate you!
By the way, Greg is currently a nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize. He, and HIS WIFE, should definitely get it.

In researching Greg Mortenson and his non-profit, Central Asia Institute, I came across the girl effect. The link is below so you can experience it for yourself.
Hope you are as moved (to action) as I am.

No comments: