23 October 2009

Pumpkin Patch Junkie


One thing I'm learning with a little kidlet is that there are a few things that happen for a very limited time during the year and you think you pretty much have to take the plunge into those things in order to not waste that opportunity.
For instance, in the summer, it seems almost foolish to visit a FREE wading pool only twice from June-August. For Pete's sake, that's only 3 months. And we know the pool isn't open every day, all day (particularly with a certain state's budget situation). So, my goal was to try to go 3 times a week. Free fun, time out in the sun, call a friend up to meet them and their kidlets -- practical perfection, when snacks and water are added.
Now the pools have been closed for quite awhile, but it's October and a different opportunity is upon us -- the Pumpkin Patch. What grown-ups without kidlets in their care don't realize, is that this is a savory experience. From the wagons to fill with pumpkins of all sizes to the bounce houses to hay rides and cornfield mazes, one can have quite a felicitous couple of hours. Not only that, many of these pumpkin patches or farms are free during the weekdays or even weekends with just a small fee for the extras (hay rides, bounce houses, etc). Since most of these pumpkin farms are only opened for a very short season, one has to realize becoming a Pumpkin Patch Junkie isn't all too bad of an idea.
Two days in a row? No big thang.
20 times in a month? Now we're talking...
Happy Pumpkin Patch season, I bid you!

by the by: I have not been 20 times in a month. I have been 2 days in a row.
How about you and your Pumpkin Patch Inner Junkie habits?

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Danny's been to Impossible Acres in Davis 3 years in a row now - I love it. It's the only pumpkin patch we've been to so far, but next year I'm envisioning visiting a few more. There's one in Dixon that I'm told ROCKS - even though the corn maze got wiped out with the bad weather recently. It's called Cool Patch Pumpkins (http://www.coolpatchpumpkins.com/). My favorite part is watching the boy run through the pumpkins, picking one up & dropping it, picking, dropping, to find just the right one. I also love the tradition side of it - visiting a familiar place & all. And I love that he gets totally muddy & dirty - such a boy thing. :)