06 December 2009

ADVENT

It has been years since I've worshiped in a place that has any kind of Advent rhythm. I think I/we are attempting to focus on the Christmas season in a way that is, well, worship and to establish a yearly framework for our family.
Thus, Advent.
It is so fascinating to read about the history of Advent as well as how people from different traditions and cultures celebrate this season.
Fasting used to be a typical "ingredient" of the Advent season to which some people around the world still adhere, much like in the Lenten season. While fasting's truest form is dependency on God through the omission of food, there is also the Isaiah 58 fast (vv. 6-7) which is to be involved actively in the lives of the marginalized.
I keep reading books and watching movies and reading Scripture that points to my need to have somewhat of a fresh start. The Advent Conspiracy, and my theme for Advent this year, (http://www.adventconspiracy.org/) is wrapped up in the phrase "Worship Fully, Spend Less, Give More, and Love All." This really sums up well the fresh start I'm thinking and acting towards. One of my current steps is to try to stop and see what is actually filling our lives and space at home (way too much junk) and work against that. It is a type of movement towards the Isaiah 58 fast that moves away from exploiting (and I'll put up a whole other blog entry on recent thoughts about this later) and towards worship. That is one way that I'm trying to celebrate Advent this year. Focus on worship, not things.

I really wanted to have a symbolic Advent Wreath this year too. And rather than going out and buying all the things (remember spend less!) I reused a wreath and candle holders "sitting around" in the house for just this purpose. Re-purposing items in our house as a way of stepping into our Advent celebration seems very appropriate to the theme.
As we move deeper into this Advent season, my hope is the God who has come, is now and will come again into our world to reveal himself.  That is where I want us to focus our heart, our time, our life.
Hopefully I'll have stories to report and share about from both our family as well as our community and places we are invested.
Happy Advent! May God be close to your family in this season!

ps feel free to share any stories you have that fit in with the theme: worship fully, spend less, give more, and love all and how you are trying to live that out this holiday season. i'll even post your stories on my blog of how you're living this out (as an encouragement or idea for others) if you'd like...

4 comments:

Stephen said...

http://generousboston.org/

Kacie said...

Steve's mom passed down their advent wreath to me a few years ago. I thought about using it the last 2 years but was a little worried that the whole fire thing would be too hectic with 6 little hands trying to grab for the candles. So, this is our first year doing it together as a family and it's been so great! Before the lighting the first candle, I did some research on advent (online) and found scripture passages for us to read together each week.

It was interesting to read about the history. And like you said...the whole idea of fasting during advent in anticipation of the birth of Christ is so appealing to me..and so contrary to the "feasting" that actually occurs in our society during this time.

Thanks so much for sharing this.

Kacie said...

oh and I forgot to mention...our church has never done anything for advent, but this year we are (first time in 9 years)! Each week we've had a family light the advent candle and share scripture and family traditions. It's so neat that the same year we decided to do it as a family...we are also doing it at church because now my kids see it a church, and then see it in our home. so, that was a fun little coincidence (and gift) for us.

heathorock said...

cool!