09 August 2010

The 100 Thing Challenge

I am, clearly and sadly, surrounded by clutter. It's just the truth.
I try to get rid of it.
I try to conquer it.
I try to avoid it.
Nonetheless, it is there. (Hmmm, I wonder why...)
I am in a constant state of trying to permanently remove this clutter.
I have extra motivation with a new person moving into our home in just a few weeks.
I have removed some items in the process of creating space for our new roommate.
But there are still mountains or at least hills of clutter anywhere I look.
Today I was cluttering my time on the internet (clutter is not just stuff, it's activity too, I know) when I came across a crazy idea -- the 100 Thing Challenge.
In hopes to minimize the focus on stuff in challenge-creator's life, a goal was set to remove all personal items (and I think shared items with a spouse or kid might not count from the brief investigating I did do) that exceeds 100.

Now, some days I do just want to throw everything out and begin with a clean slate, but 100 seems practically impossible.
Apparently, it's not. Many people have taken the 100 thing challenge.
They spend more time on activities they love.
They spend less time consuming.
They save more
They invest (themselves, their finances, their time) more wisely.
I don't think I'm up for the 100 Thing Challenge at this point in my de-cluttering career, but I like the concept and hope it will give me some inspiration on this never-ending journey.

No comments: