27 November 2010

THANKFUL


Do you ever think about how much you have?
If you live in the United States and you're reading this, have money in the bank/wallet/spare change in a dish someplace...you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.
Thanksgiving just passed.
I wonder if I am truly thankful.
How much do I take for granted?
How much stuff (either physical [ie toys or books or just stuff] or mental [ie wasted time on the internet] fills space in my life unnecessarily?
While I drive to visit relatives or to eat at a restaurant or from place to place, there are many people around the city, nation and globe who literally don't have the basic necessities. Not wants, not even needs as we talk about them among our circles, but food and water and shelter. And safe water, filling food, and shelter where you won't get sick or attacked living in it.
I am thankful. But I also know the place and time I've been in for at least a decade or two has a very self-centered, narrow focus.
While my heart and soul hunger for depth and simplicity, it is a struggle.
Sometimes I do just want to pick up and move (without all my mental and physical stuff) to a place in the globe where simplicity (and even struggle) are normative. But is that really the solution? Isn't that just the easy way out?
I LOVE where I live. And sense we're here for awhile.
So how to be thankful in this place and time?
Thankfully, there is a shift. The self-centered, consumerist mentality isn't as strong or viable as it has been in the past. But surrender and simplicity still aren't normal yet.
In our family, we've tried to incorporate a rhythm of thanks.
We're not consistent, but we're in process.
Each night before bed, we share the top five or so things that we're thankful for from the day or the season we're in. It reminds us that we're not in control and we have a heck of a lot to be thankful for. It also makes us cognizant that we have much to give and much to learn and receive.
As we move from Thanksgiving into the season of Advent (and Christmas), may we enter in with hearts that are not only full of thanks, but that reach beyond our stuff and into the lives of those around us. May we enter into this season thinking of others first and particularly lavishing those who are in need (classify that however you will).
Shalom!

No comments: