06 June 2011

Done and Done

This is the busiest season of my year. I just wrapped up a plunge a week ago and will have another one next week. That ALONE is enough for many months of work. Add two littles and you've got many, many months of work.
On top of that, there have been birthday parties and weddings, meals for new neighbors and gardening.
Plus I chose to run a 5K and (co)chair the planning committee for the biggest fund-raiser of the year for a non-profit of which I serve on the board of directors.

Well, done and done.

I finished the 5k the morning of our fund-raising dinner.
It was the first 5K I ran since I got knocked up. :) I had two goals, measly thought they were: to finish the race without walking and to try to run it in under 45 minutes. I met both. I didn't get to finish my training (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) due to the plunge that recently finished. I worked anywhere from 10-17 hour days which didn't leave much room for training, or I was recovering from those long days. Nonetheless, I did it. No walking. I also ran in under 45 minutes which probably sounds like I might as well have been walking, but I didn't. And I could probably walk as fast, but that wasn't my goal.
I wanted to get back to running post-baby and I'm on my way. I knew the plunge could create complications, yet I still signed up for the race on a busy day for motivation.
My new goal is to prepare for my first ever 10K. Just a few more miles. If I completed a 5K without finishing my training, I surely can accomplish a 10K with PLENTY of time to train.
My final goal? a half marathon. 10K in the fall, 13.1 MILES in the late winter of next year

Fund-raising dinner.
Amazing. It's incredible watching the body of Christ work together for Kingdom purposes. Youth were seen and empowered and donors and auction bidders and just plain guests were loved and showered with places to see God's work. And all of those who chose to work behind the scenes were lavished with God's love who showed us that washing feet, something dirty and typically unseen and certainly not something you receive props for, is the very place he would invest himself.
In a word, amazing.

Now I wouldn't recommend taking on as much as I have this season, nor will I sign up for so much at once nor will our itty bitty be so bitty this time next year, but I wouldn't trade the past days and weeks and even months for anything.

Anyone want to change the world by running a 10K with me this fall or join the fund-raiser planning committee that begins in the winter and runs through end of may/early june of next year???

No comments: