11 September 2011

five.miles.

easier than 4 miles, unbelievably.
it probably was because i ran with my neighbor. we ran the same pace (see last blog entry for details).
i thought it might be hard to run without music. when i started training for my first 5k, music wasn't part of my routine at first. but the longer i've trained or just gone out for a run/jog, the more music has been integral to the experience. my mp3 player has been out of batteries a couple times in the last couple months of training and those runs had elements of seeming never-ending.
so it was a little bit hard to not have music. during one part of our loops around the park tonight, we went our separate ways and i put my running playlist on. then we met back up again within a 1/2 mile. both were good.
i think the benefit of running with someone else was the built in accountability. i will keep going because you are going to keep going.
i had only planned to run 4.5 miles according to my self-imposed training schedule, but my neighbor was planning on 5. five didn't seem too terribly much longer than 4.5 so i went for it.
it seems like now that i've trudged through 4 miles, 5 isn't so bad. i wonder if adding another mile will be the same. it did seem at the end that another mile or so wouldn't have been so bad. crazy!
well, the grape muffins (grape overload around here) are now finished cooking so i need to put one in my belly and get to sleep.
happy trails, friends!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So excited for you. And I started running with no music. Then got music and needed it. But now I run without it again when I have my running buddy with me and I'm good with either. Friend or music. I need one or the other. Yay for five miles!