04 February 2009

New Years Resolutions


I am not usually a New Years Resolutions type.
But this year, I've been captured by two resolutions.

ONE
The first one came about because our housemate said she was giving up soda (and I found out she mostly gave up soda, but wants to really give it up now that we're both kicking the habit).

TWO
The other resolution came about when I realized I was giving up soda because it fills a sugar fix in me, but unfortunately, leaves me craving more sweets. If you have a sweet tooth like mine, you don't need any help with craving sweets.
I also have a family history of diabetes and remember my mom saying if she hadn't indulged in sweets as much as she did, maybe she would have had 10 more years without the disease.
So, the number two resolution of my year is to only eat dessert once a week. The only exception is that I can have hot chocolate a few times a week (and i count that a dessert). But I get to save my sweets craving and do it right on whichever day I choose.

Oddly enough, these resolutions are quite satisfying.
I give up stuff that's not so good for me.
I gain health.
I am eating better.
I set a better example.
I crave sugar less.

Hip, hip, hooray!

1 comment:

Vicki said...

and here's yet another reason to give up soda (which almost all soda has high fructose corn syrup in it:

http://smallnotebook.org/2009/02/03/mercury-in-high-fructose-corn-syrup-what-theyre-just-now-telling-us/

i hope you can find success in your new resolutions!