21 December 2009

Four Candles Glowing



I have to admit, the lighting of the Advent candles each evening is proving to be one of the best gifts during this Christmas season. We just lit the fourth candle last night. Each week the room is a little bit brighter when a new candle is added to the mix. And each week finds us trying to figure out which words and prayers will be in any way comprehensible to our little kidlet.
Today I am starting to get a picture of how crazy full the next few weeks are. It is, after all, just a few days before Christmas. During this time it is my natural tendency to get into a frenzy: Get this done. Run to that store. Buy something else. Clean like mad. Rush, rush, rush.
But each night, as we gather around our simple wreath and candles, we are centering our focus and our evenings on the right things. God. Jesus, our friend. The incarnation. The awaited birth. Immanuel. That simple daily act reminds me that nothing else is REALLY that important.
So, while I do have some cleaning and preparing and finishing of task lists ahead, I can move ahead in a spirit of rest and calm. How am I worshiping fully, spending less, giving more, and loving all?
I continue to try to "sleep (and live) in heavenly peace" today and tomorrow and the day after. Peace to you, these last days as we anticipate moving from Advent into Christmas and Epiphany.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

From Advent to Epiphany? Don't forget Christmas!!!