01 April 2010

Sweet Memories

I truly enjoyed not only my birthday, but the week following.  The group from UC Merced, UC Berkeley and last minute addition from Whitman College in Walla Walla, WA made for an excellent week.  To quote a student, "It was epic!"
This was my first spring break SUP.  This was my biggest group.  This was an amazing week.
We explored the city together, learned about God's Kingdom together, and had all kinds of adventures together.
Three big gifts from God through SUP to me:

  1. The group itself.  Each organization or group that we encountered throughout the week were so impressed by the folks who participated in SUP.  I was a huge fan too.  These are folks who are going to think about their future and how they can impact the Kingdom and put into practice what God shows them.  Students transformed!  Campuses (and cities) renewed!  World changers developed!
  2. Donna.  Also known as Barefoot Donna, for obvious reasons.  I was really hoping to run into her on my birthday, but I guess a few days later worked just as well.  We swapped watches (a birthday present swap -- her birthday is in April, mine is now over) and some conversation over part of a meal. I love Donna.  She is one of the warmest and most welcoming people I've met.  She lives in the outdoors and loves the freedom she has there.  It's her retirement.  I really look forward to the next time we will meet.
  3. Virginia.  Baptized by Pastor Darryl at the Dream Center, Virginia and I had a few interactions during the week of SUP.  Mostly I drove her from the Dream Center to her home 5 blocks away because her ar-tha-ri-tis was bothering her or because it was dark and unwise to have her walking in the dark by herself.  The most notable interaction we had was the last one of the week.  Her arthritis had really been bothering her earlier in the week; thus the 5 block car rides.  This time she came to the Dream Center for an event and we ran into each other.  She told me that she had been told by her landlady and her butler that they would love her always.  That love propelled her all around town when she was sure she wouldn't be able to walk even 5 blocks for a long time to come.  When she heard that I (and a few of the SUP folks) love her always, that brought great joy.  I'm sure she is walking around town telling everyone she meets about the people who love her always.  What's so great about that is Virginia loves me always too.  Love is contagious, healing, right, and makes life that is dreadful or exhausting, filled with joy.
Well, there's so much to say and so little time.  So that'll be the teaser.  Feel free to contact me if you'd like to hear more!

Peace to you,
H-Diggety

No comments: