As you may know, I am very involved in a local non-profit called The GreenHouse. It's a community enrichment center that serves an underserved area in our city. I've been volunteering or serving on the board of directors there for a total of 6 years. During the summer, we offer free summer camp to kids ages 6-12 and 13-18. I had the opportunity to volunteer in a way that gave kids an opportunity to learn a new skill AND help raise money for The GreenHouse. How did I do that?
Once a week for about a 5 weeks, I hosted a sewing workshop. I'm not an expert seamstress or even that good, but I know how to sew a straight (or curvy) line and I think pretty much everyone can do that too. I borrowed sewing machines from friends and neighbors and used the one already at The GreenHouse for the workshop. Each kid involved in our summer camps had the opportunity to sew on a sewing machine.
What they made was a VERY simple t-shirt bag. I told them how The GreenHouse has an annual fund-raiser each year (Kids At Heart) that makes it possible for them to attend summer camp and after school programs, etc for free or next to nothing AND that they have the opportunity to help raise money by sewing the t-shirt bags. At next year's Kids At Heart, each person who sponsors a program or invests in kids in some other way will be given a bag sewn by one of our youth. It's a win-win situation.
I was impressed by how excited the students were to have the opportunity to learn a new skill. Of all the students, one stands out in my mind. This student "who is turning 9" and I had a little conversation about his enthusiasm.
Me -- "You're one of the most excited of anyone who sewed this summer."
His reply -- "Yeah, I never knew how fun sewing (with a machine) is. It's really fun!"
Let me add to that that this student was the ONLY one who stayed by the sewing machine the entire duration of the workshop. He found material and invented stuff to create. Let me also mention that this student is known to be one of the most challenging for The GreenHouse. He's either having a good day (and everyone knows it) or he's not (and everyone knows it). I was particularly excited that this hands-on activity (his best learning style) really captured his imagination and energy.
All in a day's (or few) work...
No comments:
Post a Comment