Summer is quickly drawing to a close and autumn has already begun to give glimpses of its transforming presence. If only we lived in a place that has four true seasons -- we'd really be inspired by the gorgeous changing hues of the various deciduous trees offer.
I already mentioned my participation in The GreenHouse's summer camp through the sewing workshops I led there. I made one t-shirt bag myself that I gave away as part of a little boy's birthday present. Additional to that, I've sewn quite a few other items. Mostly bags.
Actually, I'm currently in a sewing frenzy. You know how time stands still when you're waiting for something to happen by just sitting around and waiting for it? Well, I did that. For about a week. I was waiting for kidlet two to make an appearance though it's not quite time. Silly me. I realized the next weeks were going to drag on and on unless I DID something. So I planned a few projects, mostly of the sewing variety. As I've said before, I sew straight lines. I haven't been sewing very long nor have I spent a ton of hours behind a sewing machine. But in this sewing frenzy I'm in I've decided to branch out just a tiny bit. I'm not just making bags (though that still gets a lot of my current sewing energy); I've branched out.
Since I have a big day coming soon, I decided to "whip up" attire appropriate for the event. Ever notice how people who go to hospitals wear a one-size, one color drab uniform looking gown? I did some online research and found a pattern (Thanks to http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/hospitalgown.php). This was by far the most complicated sewing undertaking, but I gave it my all this past weekend after MJ went to bed. It's definitely a first attempt sort of thing, but boy am I proud of my accomplishment AND I wasn't sitting around all weekend wondering when our itty bitty was going to make an appearance.
Then, I was inspired. I made the hospital gown and decided I might as well make matching headbands, even though my hair is quite short. I did more online research and adapted a few suggested patterns and came up with my own variations. Two headbands are officially complete. More might be on the way.
Beyond that, I made a simple sleeve for my sunglasses that gook on them if I put them in my purse uncovered, hemmed a t-shirt, sewed four bags with chocolates inside for those who will attend itty bitty's birth, finished a cloth diaper insert I began a long time ago but never finished, used scraps to make another trick or treat bag for MJ, and got material ready for a skirt that I can wear now and later.
One of my favorite projects of the past few days, okay so last night, is a simple little bag I made for MJ's bestie who is flitzing the globe next week. She's going to be in the city of love and the colors on this bag seemed fun and appropriate for the place she'll be. I told her parents there is no pressure for her to take the bag along on the trip, but it definitely was inspired by the adventure they're about to embark on...
So, at the summer's end, I have (and will have) a ton of sewn projects to show and tell. And any day (or week now) I will also have an itty bitty to show (instead of the overwhelming belly I currently am showing).
Thankful for summer, thankful for sewing, thankful for September, and thankful for showing.
Au revoir, mes amies!
2 comments:
Wow! You've sewn so much! When you look online for patterns, have you come up with a fave site, or do you end up at a variety?
I recognize some stationery in one of the photos! :)
And you need to show the gown! And the skirt fabric! Share the pattern, I want to sew some skirts!
Nice work Heather!
Post a Comment