28 December 2010

Christmas Questionnaire

via Layla
via Teri



What was the best gift you gave?
Either the photo calendar that is going to parents and grandparents or the craftsman tool dealio for mi esposo. I think really the best gift from this year was (after years of trying) helping to reshape Christmas. It's much simpler and was therefore much more enjoyable and focused. Perhaps the very best present was the gift of presence (read about meaningful spiritual memory).

What was the best gift you received?
A simpler Christmas. I didn't really ask for any gifts this year except for permission to rearrange the living room furniture however I want it. My husband isn't a great fan of change so I knew that would be a true gift of love. I haven't rearranged yet, but I'll keep you updated.

What did your mother-in-law or sibling give you?
My mother in law gave me a sweater. She is a gift giver by heart language and I know it took restraint to only give me one gift. So that is really the gift she gave me. Simplicity (notice a theme).

What was a meaningful spiritual memory from Christmas 2010?
Christmas is about Jesus' birth. Right? Some years ago, I spent Christmas with friends. One of our main hopes was to try to figure out how we could give a gift to Jesus in a way that would be meaningful either on Christmas or in the coming year. This year, I sensed that my family and I gave God an extravagant gift...
I have a friend. I'll call her Pauline. She and I met on the streets of my city as well as at one of the ministry centers that hosts the urban mission trips I lead.
Her mother died last year. Her dad died 5 or so years ago. Her brother lives nearby, but she hasn't seen him since her mother died. Her sister lives in another state and she hasn't seen her in a long time. She doesn't know how old she is. She lives in a creepy boarding style house, crammed in with other folks who have some kind of ailment (mostly mental). Her experience closely resembles that of folks in our homeless community except she has a roof over her head.
I love Pauline. God has given me opportunities to get to know her.
This year, I sensed God asking me to invite Pauline over to our house for Christmas. My husband graciously co-extended the offer. She joined us for Christmas Eve dinner -- soup and bread bowls (a new tradition I'm hoping). She doesn't remember the last time she was invited over to someone's house. It's probably been at least over a decade or more.
She was delighted to spend Christmas with my family and filling up on yummy soup. She was also very thankful for the Christmas gifts we gave her. She kept saying how cozy our home is.
Jesus became flesh and moved into our neighborhood.
We are people who try to follow Jesus' example and this Christmas tried to embody God's call to love our neighbor as ourself and move beyond our comfortable world and open up a cozy spot for people.
While there were some mildly awkward moments, I can't remember a Christmas that I've enjoyed more. I'm so thankful for the gift Jesus is to us. His choice to dwell among us. I can't think of a better way to give a gift back to him than to imitate him and dwell among people he has a sweet spot for. I know Pauline is one of those people. I know my life is richer because Jesus worked it out for Pauline and I to become friends, and spend this Christmas together!

Best Christmas movie you watched this year?
Get back to me on this. This is most likely going to be the week of Christmas movies.
On another note... Growing up, my family watched The Sound of Music every year at Thanksgiving (and sometimes Christmas too). This year, we watched The Sound of Music with our family (a big deal since we're not a TV/movie family -- especially not with kids). This will probably be the most memorable event of the year. We were driving home from trying to watch a Christmas lights extravaganza (FAIL) with the kids last night and our little people were tired. I began singing songs from The Sound of Music and MJ sang along, or at least helped sing along. What a fun and great gift that was!

What was the most stressful memory from Christmas 2010?
Trying to make food, take care of itty bitty, clean up from Christmas and in general while trying to prepare for guests. With our first kid, I was really good at taking everything slow and not expecting much of myself at holidays. This year we hosted Christmas. We had different sets of company three nights in a row at our house. I forgot how much entertaining takes, much less trying to take care of an infant. Thankfully, my mother-in-law was here and she helped fill in any gaps I created, particularly for Christmas dinner. Having extra hands around the house in general was so helpful...

Best Christmas baking?
Baking enough mini brownie bites (with hersheys hugs in the middle!)to pass out to 35 neighbors! All the rest of the yummy treats I'd talk about weren't baked good this year...

1 comment:

Kacie said...

oh no! why was christmas light show extravaganza a fail? was it not running? (or did screaming child not stop screaming?)