14 October 2011

Month of Eating In Challenge

We've noticed, in our house, that the number one expense that adds up just a tad too quickly for our liking is our food bill. But not the food we eat at home, per say, but the food that we grab on the go or that's even intentionally eaten out.
From Friday, October 7 through Friday, November 11th, we're going to try to eat in all month long. That requires a certain amount of diligence and planning.
We're also going to try to use up as much food in our freezer and pantry as possible during that time.
I'm hoping this challenge opens up lots of great time for our family to eat together and be creative.
We'll try to report back next month how our experiment goes. (Now if we only had chickens, we'd have yummy and "free" and fresh eggs each morning. Hmmmm....)

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Oh please, please get some chickens! I really want them but Hubs is saying "no" at the moment. Even if you just have 2 you'll have plenty of eggs & the boys can each name one :) See, I have to live vicariously through you! I'd love to figure out a way (besides spending hours w/coupons) of lowering our in-home food bill. It's outrageous.

Unknown said...

Funny! I want chickens, too. Ever since a great conversation with some girls from Northern Cal who live on farms. They were such cheerleaders for me. But, alas, another friend who knows a lot more than I told me about a little related roach issue that I cannot deal with.
Good luck with your experiment. NOT eating out is a necessary discipline for us. It gets easier.

heathorock said...

The chickens aren't looking very promising currently.
Eating in is going really well so far.
Vicki -- if only you could do cheese!!!
Teri -- roaches aren't such an issue around here, but that would definitely have me carefully consider chickens too.