22 October 2011

Winter Garden

Have I mentioned my dream of having an entire property that's edible (aka garden of food)?
Well, I realized I need to get my patooty in gear if we're ever going to get anywhere near that...
In the past few weeks, I planted carrots, kale, garlic, broccoli, lettuce and brussel sprouts. Not sure if I'm forgetting anything. Snow peas will go in the ground any day and I'm actually (sort of accidentally) staggering when I put stuff in the garden this year, as I should. So more lettuce and other goodies will go in the garden in the next few days, or latest, next weekend.
I still have some spring/summer crops that are producing tomatoes, eggplant, BUTTERNUT SQUASH (i'm soooooo excited -- first time ever!), crookneck squash, pole beans and bell peppers. Once those are out, I'll put something else in their place. I recently pulled out my beloved zucchini plant that fed us for awhile -- til I completely hacked it up. Note to self: DON'T DO THAT! We were getting an abundance of incredible treats from 10 inch zucchinis until the massacre. It was really to free up space in my garden box. Oh well, lesson learned at the expense of my first successful-ish go with the veggie. Next year, I'll grow it vertically and won't hack off extra leaves.
I've never thought so much about the winter garden. If I put anything in the ground at all, it was very haphazard. With an edible property as a dream end goal (note: end goal -- not any day soon), I need to put a lot of thought into a lot of things connected to growing food.

Do you garden? If not, I'd encourage you to give it a shot. But you have to keep trying for multiple years unless you really work on expert status before you get started because, at least in my experience, the first years are slow and high learning curve-ish.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Sounds wonderful! Yes, I want to garden, but I feel overwhelmed, like I need a professional class first. And a giant dose of patience to be able to wait for one little morsel of veg and know that might be all I get this year. In the meantime, thankfully some farmer out there is growing them and selling them to Smith's grocery store for me :)