13 February 2013

ashes, ashes

Perhaps you have lots of experience with ashes.  On your forehead.  
The day after Mardi Gras (or Fasching, as the people from the Heimat would say).
As far as I know, I have not had much, if any, experience with ashes on my forehead
on Ash Wednesday.  I did attend a service tonight.  And I did participate in the imposition 
of ashes.  The words that most stay with me, "repent and believe in the gospel."
Words I've heard many times.  Words I thought about freshly in the context of the 
conference I came from last weekend about race and ethnicity and finding your place
at the multi-ethnic table (Prost!).  But, words that will dig deeper in the next month and beyond.
Ashes.  Dust.  Repent.  Believe.
May I (and you) be marked by a desire to listen intently to the Word this Lenten season.

No comments: