08 January 2011

2011. Year of Giving

I have a track record of being fiercely determined. Some interpret that as stubbornness while others call it tenacity. My history makes this time of year enticing.
Enticing me to move in a certain direction, whether new or old or recalled, and to actually move.

2009 marked an incredible year of resolutions fulfilled -- no soda and dessert only the equivalent of once a week (with a hot chocolate proviso). I probably slipped up a little bit on the dessert, but I kept going and made it through much of the year accomplishing my intention. Not bad for having an incalculable sweet tooth. I also wanted to eat better and exercise more. Done and done.

2010 marked a year with fewer stated intentions and also therefore less success or results.

In 2011, I would like to have a year more like 2009. I'd like to begin this year intentionally, looking forward to possibilities and potential.

What do I resolve to move into this year? What is my overall purpose for the year?
My theme (and boy do I wish I were Ally McBeal right now and had a theme song magically pop into my head that would summarize my theme)for 2011 is GIVING. How do I hope to see that happen?
Keep reading.

2011 Year of Giving New Year's Assertions:
1. Giving through intentionality in relationships.
2. Giving through a clean sink.
3. Giving through resource focus.
4. Giving through health.
5. Giving through simplifying.

My 5 assertions have a bit of explanation below, if you're interested.

Giving through intentionality in relationships.
This ranges from being present with my family when it's our time together to continuing to invest in family, friends, and neighbors: near and far.
I don't want to neglect relationships that I believe are opportunities for me to know God deeper. I think "Pauline," Barefoot Donna, and Russell are just a few that come to mind.
Mostly I want to continue to expand my relationship with the One who came in flesh to dwell among us. I'm quite positive that will be the cornerstone for my ability to give in all the other relationships in my life.

Giving through a clean sink.
Not all day long (though that might end up happening), but going to bed on a clean sink. I first got turned on to the whole "shiny sink" idea from flylady (http://www.flylady.net/pages/focus_jan.asp).
A clean sink is a symbol. It means I am being intentional about being clean. It also represents my desire to focus my energy towards cleanliness or simplicity. That means decluttering. This gift is not only for me, and trust me it's a pretty incredible gift to me, but also to my family and friends. It's a super nice gift for my husband.

Giving through resource focus.
I believe that the following statement is true "the earth is the Lord's in everything in it." However, I don't live like that's true. It might sound like an excuse, but I do think it has a lot to do with the culture and society I live in. I would like to try to really meditate on that this year and figure out how to funnel all that I've been given (that is the Lord's) to the proper purposes. One thing this does mean is to be much more attentive to financial matters than normal. Another thing this means is to take at least another step or two towards becoming a locavore.


Giving through health.
This one seems obvious and is probably on many people's New Year's Resolution list. I'd like to eat well, exercise lots, and take care of myself as well as those in my family. This year, I intend to train for at least 1/2 of a 1/2 marathon (relay). I also plan on trying to keep sweets to the weekends again and will try to keep water as my main drink (or hot tea) except for the weekends. Sleep also contributes to good health. Unfortunately I am currently in a place where it is difficult to get really good, continuous hours of sleep due to a little buddy of ours. At the same time, I would like to be more intentional about sleep. This is a specific weakness of mine. The older I get, the more I feel the ramifications of my poor choices in this area. Help me out here friends!

Giving through simplifying.
This goes along with they shiny sink. Declutter. But this also a more holistic assertion. Get rid of that which adds unnecessarily to my life, or those around me. I'd like to declutter mentally, physically, etc.
I'd really like to declutter virtually. I intentionally have chosen (at this point) not to text or have a new-fangled iphone or the like. I would really like to be more intentional about limiting my virtual life in general. For an options person like myself, the internet represents boundless opportunities. It also represents a black hole. I'm going to try to figure out some sort of rhythm that makes it possible for me to be connected in a way that doesn't suck me in all the time. So far, I have been pretty good at refraining from the internet on Sundays. I'd like to see if I can add 1 or 2 days to that. Definitely need help with this too. (And this would most certainly help with sleeping better AND being more intentional in relationships).

Well, if you've made it this far. Congrats!
Happy giving together in 2011!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Heather - I love your to do list! I especially love the simplifying idea, it's one of my favorite words. I find it interesting that you would like to simplify your virtual world and that includes not texting...and adding texting was on my 2011 list! Hmmmm... Oh, and I love the clean sink motto - it really starts my day off wrong when I have to begin with dishes. You go girl!

Vicki said...

Wow - that's a great list! And yes, it has been an entire month since I have looked at your blog!! Actually, most blogs - but that's OK because I've limited how many times I go to my Google Reader or I would be there ALL DAY :) But seriously, that is one well-thought-out post for someone who is more likely sleep-deprived than not. Can't wait to catch up over some hot water (or cocoa) & see how the little buddy is doing!